Header Ads

Aparajita Rai Select IAS thisYear

Aparajita Rai, a 25 year girl from Sikkim has brought laurels for the state. She secured 768th rank in Civil Service Examination (CSE) conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). With more than 5 lakh applicants for just 920 posts puts CSE among the most difficult examinations in the world. But winners are those who make it happen and Aparajita Rai is winner in all sense. How was her journey till now?

Please tell us something about your family and educational background?

My father was a divisional forest officer and my mother is a graduate school teacher. I have one elder sister who is a doctor and currently she is preparing for her MD. As far as my educational background is concerned, I studied in Holy Cross Montessori School and St. Thomas School for initial days. Then from class 4 to class 12, I was in Tashi Namgyal Academy.

After completing my school I appeared in National Admission Test and went on to study law from WB National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata. From there I completed my BA LLB (Hons) in 2009 and wrote CSE same year. But I couldn’t make it that time. So I appeared again in 2010 and now here I am.

How was your performance in first attempt?

In my first attempt I could not even get through prelims. But I feel my performance in 2009 was much better than 2010 but one can’t say anything about UPSC. Only predictable thing is its unpredictability.

What prompted you to choose Civil Services as your career?

My dad passed away when I was just 8 year old. Even for small things it was either me or my mom who have to run around offices. There I witnessed lot of insensitivity among government officials and was aghast with their attitude towards society. So I always wanted to be a part of that system and be a person who will at least be responsive of people’s problem. Anyone who comes to me should not face the same harassment or agony which people generally encounter in government offices. That was one reason. Other reason was that I always wanted to be a part the administration as this is one of the best way to serve people.

Power and Prestige that comes along with it never fascinated you?

Even if I don’t get a promotion or a handsome salary, I would still join the services. Personally I am not a very ambitious person and neither have I joined the services to become a Cabinet Secretary one day. I think I have a vision and it’s always necessary to have a vision and not an ambition. Ambition dies once you achieve it but vision continues for ever.

How hard the journey to success was? Did you ever feel to give up while preparing?

See, if someone is joining this service to secure a job, my suggestion to that person would be please don’t join it. Civil Services are not about a job but about being an instrument in the process of change. If this is clear in one’s mind I don’t think anyone would leave in between. No doubt the journey is hard and tiring but patience, persistence and self belief are the key.

What were your subjects and what was your preparation plan?

My compulsory subjects were public administration and Law. Since I was doing law so it was a natural choice for me. My public administration teacher was such an inspiring figure that I just opted for it and also it is very much related with what we will eventually do in our service.

For my preparation plan I made a point to get up early in the morning and do swimming or aerobics because it is important to keep your body fit. I never studied for 18 hrs or 20 hrs. Instead I went with book wise and followed it with a strict deadline.

Are you a smart worker or a hard worker?

I don’t consider myself smart so I guess it must be hard work.

You secured 768th position. Will you apply again next year to improve it?

Yes I will. The best thing about this year exam was that it helped me to point out my areas of improvement. So I need to work harder. That’s all I can think as of now or probably need to add few more rings in my fingers!!

Why not many aspirants from Sikkim are able to make it to the UPSC?

Just go out on the street and ask any young girl or boy what is UPSC. I am sure not many people would able to answer. There is no awareness about Civil Services. Majority of us think that the best we can get is a government job. Many young guys from Sikkim don’t want to go out and compete. It is only when you sharpen your edges, you will be sharp.

Also there is a lack of seriousness. It is fine to have inclination towards fashion, music and lifestyle. These things are important as they have been a part of my life as well. But at a same it is important to be serious about serious stuff. Career is one such serious thing. Not only for Civil Services but it is applicable for any profession that one aspires to be in.

What is your advice to the future aspirants?

We have this attitude of thinking that people who mug up can score marks. But even to do that you need to put in hard work. There are people who are born genius but whatever I have achieved in my life is just because of sheer hard work. If you haven’t developed the habit of putting efforts then develop it because there is no other way you can crack this exam. Also there are lots of ups and downs and to carry oneself along these pulls and pushes requires strong inner motivation. You need to be passionate about this. As I mentioned earlier it is more than a job.

Had you not been selected in the Civil Services Examination, which other career would you have opted for?

My dad wanted me to be a lawyer. I still remember when I was little he made a statement that my daughter will become a lawyer because she is too witty and smart. That thing got stuck in my head. So after 12th I found this college and opted for law. I guess had I not been a public servant I would have become a corporate lawyer.

What do you like to do in your free time?

I always make a point that I learn new thing whenever I get an opportunity. I could not learn swimming at TNA because I was scared of water so I learned it in Kolkata. I also did a course on Bharatanatyam and I also started learning Guitar. Apart from that I love to do aerobics. I am also a big movie buff. I watch Bengali movies a lot and Satayjit Ray movies are my favorite. He made one on my name too! In English “Gone with the wind” movie; I just loved it and watched umpteen times. In music I like Scorpions and though Pop is not my taste but I get hooked to Justin Bieber.

What are your plans ahead?

I don’t know but I guess I will retire early to do other works which are close to my heart. I want to set up an NGO which will deal with giving free legal aid. This I think I would be able to do because of my legal background. Also I have seen this old building in Kolkata and I have a dream of buying it though it will cost a lot. May be if I save that much money or else if I get donation from my friends I will buy that and renovate it. I want to make its ground floor an old age home. But these are all tentative plans.

(Courtesy :-isikkim.com)

No comments

Powered by Blogger.