The Complete History of Queen's Gurkha Signals : Part 1/2
The Origins: The Gurkha Signals Holding and Training Wing : British Army signalling can find it origins in the Royal Corps of Engineers in 1870, when the first Telegraph Battalion was formed. Signalling remained the prerogative of the Engineers for 58 years until the formation of the Corps of Signals in 1921. It is hardly surprising therefore that the initial employment of Gurkha signallers be in the three Indian Corps of Sappers and Miners (Bombay, Bengal, and Madras) in 1911. This development was rather haphazard and it wasn't until the First World War that whole companies of Gurkha signallers existed within these three Corps. In 1920 these companies were formed into the Indian Signal Service and each 'Line and Wireless' companies within the service were given a letter designation. In 1921 'G' Divisional Signals, which was approximately regimental size, was based in Rawalpindi and included British and Gurkha soldiers. 'G' Divisional Signals had a small Regimental Headquarters (RHQ), No 1 Company and No 2 Company, the latter incorporating three Infantry Brigade Signal Sections and three Royal Artillery Brigade Signal Sections.
It was this No 2
Company which was totally Gurkha in composition and which grew to
such a size that by necessity
it had to be eventually split into
two. These Gurkha signallers distinguished themselves in the
Waziristan troubles in 1923
and during the state visit to Nepal in
1921 of His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales on a hunting trip.
But it was eventually
decided in 1928 that there was an insufficient
trained reserve of Gurkha signallers and that they should be allowed
to waste
out of the army.
When India gained independence from
Britain in 1947 only 4 Regiments of Gurkhas, each of two battalions,
were transferred
from the Indian Army to the British Army. The 2nd,
6th, 7th, and 10th Gurkha Rifle Regiments moved to Malaya and Hong
Kong in 1948. The impending Malayan Emergency provided the impetus
in June 1948 for the formation of the 17th Gurkha
Infantry Division
and it was decided that the signals units for this new division
should be Gurkha in composition. In July 1948
the training cadre,
from which this new division's brigade signals units would
eventually be drawn, was formed and initially
consisted only of a
handful of British Non Commissioned Officers (NCO) and other ranks.
An establishment was created at
the Command Headquarters site, in
Kuala Lumpur, called X Brigade Signal Squadron and it was to this
Squadron that Major
A G C Cox MBE R SIGNALS was posted in October
1948. The X was used because no
-
one knew quite what to call them,
but it was intended that this would be the first instalment towards
a Gurkha Division Signal Regiment.
The remainder of 1948
was used in
forming the training cadre from experienced British and Gurkha
instructors, and with gaining the approval of
establishments for a
Training wing and an Independent Brigade Signal Squadron from
General Headquarters (GHQ) Far
East Land Forces (FARELF). Although
it had been envisaged that the first group of 110 trainees would
arrive on 1 Jan 1949
the approval for the establishments was not
given until May 1950.
The
Trainees destined for this new Gurkha Division Signal's unit were to
be drawn in the main from the signals platoons of the eight rifle
battalions, but as chance would have it, the burden of the 'Malaya
Emergency' upon the battalions meant they
were unable to release
these trainees until the middle of 1949. The reasons were that the
men were being used in
operations and the infantry signals platoons
were too deficient of trained men. This meant that a greater
proportion of 1948's
recruits made up the initial batch of trainees
than was originally intended.
The Gurkha Signals Training and Holding Wing, as 'X' Brigade Signal Squadron was now known (though unofficially until May 1950), spent the first half of 1949 improving their instructional technique and moving into their own premises in 64 Transit Camp, on Ipoh Road, Kuala Lumpur. The 110 trainees were initially sent on a three month education course at the Gurkha School of Education, at Tampoi, Johore Bahru, commanded by Captain P T Prentice 7GR. On the 1st May 1949 the 110 trainees began instruction in reading, writing, English, mathematics and map reading to bring themselves up to a suitable educational standard to be Royal Signals tradesmen. On the 16th August 1949 the now 102 trainees (8 were rejected at the end of the education course) began their trade training as Gurkha Royal Signals at the Gurkha Signals Training and Holding Wing. Of the 8 who were rejected one was definitely a black sheep and a trouble maker, for it was later found out that he had been one of the ring leaders in an infamous Indian naval mutiny in Bombay at the end of World War Two, and so possibly not the ideal candidate from which to father a regiment. The training for this first batch lasted until 1st August 1950 and they were then posted to the newly formed 48th Gurkha Brigade Signal Squadron commanded by Major L H Gregory MBE, which was launched on the 18th December 1950 at an inspection by Major General R C 0 Hedly CB CBE DSO. At this occasion the General said ;
'I have served with the Gurkhas for
twenty
-
eight years and have never known them to fail yet. You will
not fail .'The Gurkha Signals Training and Holding Wing, as 'X' Brigade Signal Squadron was now known (though unofficially until May 1950), spent the first half of 1949 improving their instructional technique and moving into their own premises in 64 Transit Camp, on Ipoh Road, Kuala Lumpur. The 110 trainees were initially sent on a three month education course at the Gurkha School of Education, at Tampoi, Johore Bahru, commanded by Captain P T Prentice 7GR. On the 1st May 1949 the 110 trainees began instruction in reading, writing, English, mathematics and map reading to bring themselves up to a suitable educational standard to be Royal Signals tradesmen. On the 16th August 1949 the now 102 trainees (8 were rejected at the end of the education course) began their trade training as Gurkha Royal Signals at the Gurkha Signals Training and Holding Wing. Of the 8 who were rejected one was definitely a black sheep and a trouble maker, for it was later found out that he had been one of the ring leaders in an infamous Indian naval mutiny in Bombay at the end of World War Two, and so possibly not the ideal candidate from which to father a regiment. The training for this first batch lasted until 1st August 1950 and they were then posted to the newly formed 48th Gurkha Brigade Signal Squadron commanded by Major L H Gregory MBE, which was launched on the 18th December 1950 at an inspection by Major General R C 0 Hedly CB CBE DSO. At this occasion the General said ;
Two days later the squadron moved to Pahang to
join the Brigade and became operational.
The men were trained
in three main trades Operators Wireless and Line (OWLS), Linemen,
and Despatch riders and
although had come from a variety of
backgrounds managed during training very well. Major Gregory tried
to instil in the men
a sense of identity by placing them in
detachments and these became known as;
Okhaldhunga Det Bhojpur Det
Dhankutta Det Ham Det
Pokhara Det Gulmi Det
Lamjung Det Baglung Det
Tansen Det Darjeeling Det
Syanja Det Chisangkhu Det
Dhankutta Det Ham Det
Pokhara Det Gulmi Det
Lamjung Det Baglung Det
Tansen Det Darjeeling Det
Syanja Det Chisangkhu Det
All the men were titled Gurkha
Royal Signals and wore the badge of the Royal Corps of Signals,
'Jimmy'. Certain dress
differences were soon established to set both
British and Gurkha ranks of the Gurkha Royal Signals apart from
their
counterparts. But it was on the persistence of Major Gregory
that the Regiment gained its prized Grant tartan and began its
affiliation with the now 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment
(Volunteers).
Major
Gregory proposed in 1952 that the Regiment should have a pipe band
as many other
Gurkha Regiments had and to this end an affiliation
with a Scottish Regiment should be made. The
only pipe band in
existence in the Royal Corps of Signals belonged to the 51st
(Highland) Infantry
Division Signal Regiment based in Aberdeen, and
so overtures were made to cement an affiliation.
Help was very
forthcoming from the 51st Highland Division Signal Regiment and a
corps of pipes
and drums were established with their help and the
help of the Royal Scots Fusiliers, based in
Malaya at the time.
The
affiliation was approved and formalised when Major (QGO) Parsuram
Gurung MBE, who was in the UK for the coronation, visited the
Regiment and presented it with a
ceremonial Kukri and received a
Quaich in return. From the 51st Division Signal Regiment the
Gurkha
Signals inherit their Tartan, which is the Grant tartan and which
the regiment is permitted
to wear by the authority of Lord
Strathspey, Clan Chief of the Clan Grant, and the Regimental March
which is 'Scotland the
Brave'. The affiliation of the Regiment now
passes on to 32 (Scottish) Signal Regiment which was formed on 1
April 1967
and in which the 51st Division Signal Regiment has become
51 Highland Signal Squadron.
1951 to 1954 were definitely the
formative years of the Gurkha Signals and many changes were
undertaken on the road to
formal recognition as a Regiment.
On the 15 January 1952 the Gurkha Signals Training and Holding Wing closed in the old '64 Transit camp and began life anew as the Signals Training Squadron in the Depot of the 17th Gurkha Division, Sungei Patani. The RHQ of 17 Gurkha Division Signal Regiment (GDSR) which is also HQ Gurkha Signals was formed in October 1953 and in November moved to Lamjung Camp (Maxwell Road Camp), Kuala Lumpur. A certain amount of shuffling ended in November 1953 with the Brigades of 17 Division being served by units of 17 GDSR; 26, 63, 99, and 48 Brigades being served by 26(1), 63(K) ,99(L), and 48(J) Troops respectively. On 16th October 1953 17 Gurkha Divisional Signal Regiment was officially constituted but the day that has been adopted as the Regimental birthday is 23 September 1954. On this day Major General Brigade of Gurkhas, Major General L E C M Perowne CBE presented to the Regiment at Lumjung Camp, Kuala Lumpur, its own badge .
On the 15 January 1952 the Gurkha Signals Training and Holding Wing closed in the old '64 Transit camp and began life anew as the Signals Training Squadron in the Depot of the 17th Gurkha Division, Sungei Patani. The RHQ of 17 Gurkha Division Signal Regiment (GDSR) which is also HQ Gurkha Signals was formed in October 1953 and in November moved to Lamjung Camp (Maxwell Road Camp), Kuala Lumpur. A certain amount of shuffling ended in November 1953 with the Brigades of 17 Division being served by units of 17 GDSR; 26, 63, 99, and 48 Brigades being served by 26(1), 63(K) ,99(L), and 48(J) Troops respectively. On 16th October 1953 17 Gurkha Divisional Signal Regiment was officially constituted but the day that has been adopted as the Regimental birthday is 23 September 1954. On this day Major General Brigade of Gurkhas, Major General L E C M Perowne CBE presented to the Regiment at Lumjung Camp, Kuala Lumpur, its own badge .
The Malayan Emergency and Beyond 1948
-
1962
On the 1st February 1948 the Federation of Malaya was
formed and growing Chinese dissatisfaction in
Malaya precipitated
the resurrection of the guerilla organization which had been
previously set up to fight
the Japanese. The Malayan Races
Liberation Army was a communist sponsored terrorist organisation
which was armed by caches of World War Two weapons and which sought
the overthrow of British rule in
Malaya. When in June 1948 three
British rubber plantation managers were murdered a state of
emergency was declared and a twelve year anti
-
terrorist campaign by
the British began. The terrorists
were quickly isolated from the
rest of the population by the British 'Hearts and Minds' policy,
which
allowed villagers to be rehoused in 'New Villages' with modern
facilities and conveniences. The Terrorists, lacking popular
support, were pushed into the Jungle and the police and army strove
to fight them on their own ground. The fighting was
infrequent but
fast and furious, and the Army' tactics changed accordingly, it
quickly being realised that the Gurkha made an
ideal jungle soldier.
Against this background the 17th Gurkha Infantry Division was
formed, and the Gurkha Signals rapidly
assumed responsibility for
all communications to the various Brigades within that division.
Following closely in the footsteps of 48 Gurkha Infantry
Brigade Signal Squadron
came K (King) Troop raised in November 1951
as the brigade signal squadron for 63
Brigade in Seremban. The next
year in November L (Love) Troop was formed to
support 99 Brigade in
Johore Bahru and in December the squadron at 48 Brigade
was renamed
J (Jig) Troop so that the three troops could comprise 3 Squadron 17
Gurkha Division Signal Regiment. An independent squadron was raised
in
December of 1952 in Kluang to provide communications for 26
Gurkha Brigade and
1 Squadron the divisional headquarters squadron
formed in Kuala Lumpur in April
1953 provided the last component for
the formation of the regiment. The Regiment
was officially
constituted on the 16th October 1953 as 17 Gurkha Division Signal
Regiment commanded by Major L H M Gregory.
The Regiment's
first home was Maxwell Road Camp, Kuala Lumpur, which soon became
known as Lamjung Camp
Lamjung being the home of the then, and first
Gurkha Major, Parsuram Gurung. Parsuram had just returned form the
UK
where he had been a member of the Brigade's Coronation
contingent; asked to describe his experiences at the
Commanding
officers weekly conference, he said that his mother had told him
about heaven when he was a child but it was
only now that he really
understood what it might be and where it was. Building began in
Lamjung camp in 1953 and was
finished in 1955, although a lot of
self help was needed to make the camp habitable and it eventually
acquired a charm
reminiscent of a village in the hills. There were
no permanent buildings in the camp and from the entrance a narrow
road ran
through a collection of huts to the Gurkha Officers Mess
and Gurkha families lines at the top of a hill. The Gurkha Families
themselves lived in EPIP tents and it wasn't until the end of 1955
that huts were eventually built for them in Lamjung village.
MALAYAN PENINSULA
Having a home however, did not
mean an end to all the name changes and by the time Lt Col Gregory
handed over the
Regiment to Lt Col Griffith in January 1956 the
Regiment had lost its Royal title and the first sub
-
unit had left
Malaya. The
Royal title was dropped when the Regiment was honoured
by Her Majesty the Queen in becoming a full member of the
Brigade of
Gurkhas on 28 September 1955. This made the Regiment unique among
signals units in that it appeared in the
army list within the Corps
of Infantry. The first Gurkha Signals unit to have left Malaya was
the signal squadron
accompanying 48 Gurkha Infantry Brigade to Hong
Kong in 1954. This was the independent squadron raised to support 26
Brigade and renamed for the move. J Troop filled the squadrons'
place in Kuala Pilah.
The fighting in the Malayan
emergency happened sporadically and no 'European' style actions were
fought. The infantry
were committed to operations involving long,
patient patrolling and there were never enough resources to maintain
such a
high level of operations.
It soon became a matter of course
for Gurkha Signals Troops to be tasked to do Headquarters
Defence
duties; escorting convoys, doing gate checks at 'New Villages', and
now and then the odd ambush in a major
operation. All the while
radios and signal centres were manned 24 hours a day. The bread and
butter radio communications
for the Regiment were High Frequency
radios which were prone to interference, fading, and noise, being
particularly difficult
at dawn and dusk, the two most crucial
tactical times of the day. The problems of radio communications was
exacerbated by
a diversity of accents on the radio nets. On 99
Gurkha Infantry Brigades command net it would not be unusual to find
operators from a variety of Commonwealth countries such as
Australia, Rhodesia, Malaya and Fiji, not to mention from the
British army's own Scottish, Welsh and Gurkha battalions. For some
reason this never became a problem how ever for the
operators from
the Regiment.
When fighting did begin it was fast, furious
and unannounced, requiring the fastest of reactions. The Brigades
soon adapted
to this method of fighting and in Operations Valiant,
Commodore, and Boxer the use of the helicopter became an essential
part of brigade plans.
The Gurkha Signals quickly hit upon the idea
of becoming airportable and ingenious if far fetched
methods of
operation were planned. The most notable being the idea of Lt (QGO)
Prembahadur Gurung to lay line by
helicopter, though no record
remains as to whether this was ever carried out. One event which did
take place highlighting the
speed operations were carried out and
the professionalism shown by all was the move of the whole of 26
Brigade from
Kluang to deepest Pahang, a distance of some 300 miles
within 24 hours of informed. The latter part of this journey was
completed by rail and the signal squadron had to build ramps to load
and unload their communications vehicles and other
transports on to
and off the trains flat beds. The brigade then carried out over a
months operations in the new Tactical Area
Of Responsibility (TAOR)
before returning to Kluang.
There were some lighter moments
whilst in the jungle. A, chance remark by the Commander of the Royal
Welch Fusiliers at
lunch in some jungle glade with Lt Col Gregory
led to some frenzied action by the Gurkha Signals.
It seemed the RWF
had
reached the final of the Malayan Boxing tournament and were
facing the 15/19 Hussars that night. Unfortunately the
battalion
could not watch because they were on operations in the jungle. The
Gurkha Signals with the use of the Divisional
command net, a cobbled
together PA system and an ad hoc commentator covered the final live
to the delight of the RWF
(despite losing), and made quite an
impression on all concerned over what could be achieved with only a
few hours work.
This episode turned out to be the Gurkha Signals
debut into the world of broadcasting; Commentaries from the Nepal
Cup
matches were soon to be considered a routine task for the
regiment. Thus began an association with Gurkha broadcasting
which
was continued by 246 Squadron and remains to this day.
On
21 April 1956 a considerable honour was bestowed upon the Regiment
when Her Royal Highness the Princess Royal
presented her pipe banner
to the Pipes and Drums. The Pipes and Drums had been pulled together
in February of 1955 and
by September of that year were playing for
the first time in public at a massed Beating of the Retreat. This
represented not
only considerable hard work on the boys behalf but
also hard work from the Royal Scots Fusiliers and our associated
regiment the 51st Highland Division Regiment. Her Royal Highness who
was Colonel
-
in
-
Chief of the Royal Corps of Signals
presented her
banner at St James Palace with the following words;
It gives me great pleasure, as Colonel
-
in
-
Chief of
the Royal Corps of Signals and also because of my personal
connection
with the 10th Princess Mary's Own Gurkha Rifles, to
present this banner to the Gurkha Signal Regiment. In doing so, I
would
like to congratulate all ranks on their achievements of the
past six years, during which the Regiment has grown up to full
stature as an operational Signal Regiment in Malaya and an important
member of the Gurkha Division.'
In
1957 Gurkha Signals moved from Kuala Lumpur to Seremban and occupied
Sikamat Camp, being joined there by 250
Gurkha Signal Squadron
(Training) from the Training Depot Brigade of Gurkhas. Sikamat Camp
was a delightful spot, built
on a hill side with a spacious
reentrant which held the MT park, the Dashera Ghar and a large
'theatre in the round', built of
Attap. The officers and sergeants
messes were together on the top of the Hill; the Officers Mess
reusing an old Planters
house and gardens, the latter soon becoming
the centre of social activity. The road to Jelebu ran along side the
camp and
opposite the camp was a Malay Kampong with the Gurkha
Family lines next to it. Rahim Bur Kichi, the Gurkha Signals loyal
tailor, moved with the Regiment establishing himself in the nether
regions of the camp, and continuing his haircutting,
tailoring
and washing business, all the while housed in the most basic of
tent and corrugated iron accommodation.
The enlargement of
the Officers mess verandah became another of the Regiments self help
projects occupying many hours
of off duty time and boosting the bar
profits to boot. The project soon however became to big for the
enthusiastic amateurs
who could not keep pace with the delivery of
quarry waste. The Garrison Engineer was called in and he became an
immediate Honorary Mess member. In the Mess, the Jeeves
-
like figure
of Bhadre Pun ministered what he considered the
every whim of the
members. He was a strong character and was very much his own man and
in these traits lay his origins as
mess waiter. Bhadre had been a
driver and had appeared on orders after driving his truck head
on.
The Early Hong Kong Years 1955
-
1971
Hong
Kong was the home of the Regiment and it is therefore fitting
that the Regiment, in one form or
another, has served in the colony
longer than anywhere else. In 1954
Major AR
Glanvill
's 26 Gurkha
Infantry Brigade Signal Squadron was
redesignated 48 Gurkha Independent Infantry Brigade Signal
Squadron
and moved to Sek Kong Camp, Hong Kong. Despite various name changes
and moves within
Sek Kong Camp itself this Squadron has remained
there until today. Only one member of the Squadron
was forced to
remain behind in Kuala Lumpur, when the Squadron moved lock, stock
and barrel to Hong Kong, and that was
'Cassi' the Squadron's goat.
Unfortunately Cassi was run over on posting to RHQ and sustained a
broken leg. It is known
that Cassi survived the trauma of losing her
family and her broken leg, and survived with RHQ and categorically
did not end
up as Bhat
Hong Kong may have seen to some as a
quiet posting but when in 1966 the Cultural Revolution in China
spilled over the
border into the colony the posting became anything
but quiet. Riots became if not commonplace then frequent in Hong
Kong, inspired by zealous communists on the wrong side of the
border. On the 8th July the Police station at Sha Tau Kok on
the
border believed it was under fire from across the border. From this
time forward to 1969
246
Squadron
was put on 24
hours notice to move. After the Sha Tau
Kok incident the squadron installed a PA system into the police
station and in other
police stations like Lo Wu so that the
communist propaganda from China could be countered. On many
occasions
technicians deployed to repair and maintain these
facilities as well as repairing the telephone lines along the border
road
which because the road often came under heavy stoning the men
from Hong Kong Light and Power Company refused to
investigate. As
the army took over more and more of the border posts from the police
so the Squadron became more heavily
involved in providing
communications for the border area and the battalions deployed
there.
Hong Kong may have seen to some as a
quiet posting but when in 1966 the Cultural Revolution in China
spilled over the
border into the colony the posting became anything
but quiet. Riots became if not commonplace then frequent in Hong
Kong, inspired by zealous communists on the wrong side of the
border. On the 8th July the Police station at Sha Tau Kok on
the
border believed it was under fire from across the border. From this
time forward to 1969
246
Squadron
was put on 24
hours notice to move. After the Sha Tau
Kok incident the squadron installed a PA system into the police
station and in other
police stations like Lo Wu so that the
communist propaganda from China could be countered. On many
occasions
technicians deployed to repair and maintain these
facilities as well as repairing the telephone lines along the border
road
which because the road often came under heavy stoning the men
from Hong Kong Light and Power Company refused to
investigate. As
the army took over more and more of the border posts from the police
so the Squadron became more heavily
involved in providing
communications for the border area and the battalions deployed
there.
One of the main contributions to the moral of the
battalions on the border came from the Gurkha Forces Broadcasts
presented by
246
Squadron
. It has already been mentioned that the Regiment first
became involved with these broadcasts
in Malaya in 1953. On 12
February 1964 the Gurkha broadcasting station in Hong Kong was
officially opened by
Brigadier
AB Taggart MC
Commander of 48 Gurkha Infantry Brigade in Tarn Mei camp, having
been built and equipped by
246
Squadron
. The Squadron
maintained the station with 3 technicians and 3 volunteer
Newsreaders under the guidance of the
Squadron's Foreman of Signals.
A two hour show which was recorded in the Forces Broadcast Unit in
Singapore was played
every night between 8pm to 10pm. In addition
the Newsreaders read out the daily news in Gurkhali which had again
been
prepared in Singapore and sent each day via the commcen to
246 Squadron
. The Gurkha
Broadcasts were a great success
by the British Forces Broadcasting
Service operating from Borneo Lines Sek Kong. Today the main
presenter is one of the
Regiments own.
Honorary Captain
(GCO) Kishorekumar Gurung MBE Retd
, who continued a long
standing association.
The weather in Hong Kong does not
remain glorious all year round and soldiers in 246 Squadron can well
remember periods
of drought and extreme cold. The other condition
which happens without fail is the Typhoon season, roughly May to
September, the Squadron provided the storms and disaster net from
the moment it arrived in the territory in 1954. But in
June 1966
Monsoon storms delivered the equivalent of UK's total annual rain
fall in just two days as a prelude to a month of
continuous rain.
the squadron was effectively trapped inside Sek Kong camp by the
floods and was not able to deploy the
VHF rebroadcast detachment
which supply the storms and disasters net for two days, a mistake it
never did again,
consequently the detachment now always deploy ahead
of the storm and never during it.
An interesting annual event
in 48 Brigades calendar was the Brigade Tattoo first run in 1968 and
in which the squadron took
an active part. Unfortunately the first
Tattoo was slightly marred when 300 spectators had to be taken to
BMH when the
stand they were in collapsed. There had been so much
interest from the local people, that they surged into the stands
using
tickets passed through the fence and thus causing overcrowding
and the collapse of the stand from the unexpected weight.
The
defence cuts which brought to an end 17 Gurkha Signal Regiment were
weathered by
246
Squadron
and they gained a
Defence and Employment Platoon which
was the Regimental Pipes and Drums in disguise. And finally in 1971
they were
joined by the newly reformed 248 Squadron, RHQ and
Training Troop in Hong Kong, its exclusivity gone forever.
- To be Continue


Post a Comment